Antimicrobial Treated Devices
Provide an extra layer of protection
|To help combat the spread of germs in public facilities, Leviton has developed antimicrobial treated wiring devices to help keep the surfaces of switches and wallplates cleaner. By incorporating an antimicrobial additive into the product material, antimicrobial treated devices work to reduce the growth of bacteria on frequently touched switches and wallplates in between normal cleanings. When used together, the devices provide a complete antimicrobial solution. Only differentiated by the Leviton logo and antimicrobial symbol, the standard design and variety of colors allows for seamless integration into public applications with minimal aesthetic disruption.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are antimicrobial treated devices and how are they beneficial?
Bacteria can live on a surface for months, and switches and wallplates are two of the dirtiest surfaces touched daily. Antimicrobial treated devices from Leviton contain an EPA registered additive to help keep switch and wallplate surfaces cleaner by reducing bacterial growth.
How effective is antimicrobial treatment from Leviton in reducing bacterial growth?
Independent lab tests demonstrate that our silver ion antimicrobial technology is 99.9% effective in reducing the growth of harmful bacteria such as MRSA and E.coli, as well as many common staining and odor-causing bacteria, mold and fungi.
Is there any special care required for antimicrobial treated devices?
Usual daily proper hygiene and cleaning procedures using approved cleaning products must be maintained with antimicrobial treated devices.
How long is antimicrobial treatment effective?
Lab tests demonstrate that the antimicrobial material on the devices remains intact when subjected to 15,000 cleaning cycles (equivalent to 10 years*) each with a sponge that was saturated with one of the following common cleaning products: ammonia, isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and bleach.